the delphic expanse

Delphic Expanse Gallery FAQs

Questions, answers, and help relating to the Delphic Expanse's art gallery.

Delphic Expanse Gallery FAQs

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Why do I have to register/login at the forum in order to use the gallery?
Our gallery software came with the ability to bridge to our forum, for the experience of a more integrated website. We were unable to do this with the archive, and one of the most frequent complaints we got (albeit a minor one) was that there were separate login sessions required. Either way, we're not going to be able to please everyone; this time we erred on the side of convenience for those who've been actively participating in our community up to this point.

Why do I have to be logged in to see the full-size images that are behind the mature content filter?
Because earlier this year we adjusted our age requirements for membership. You have to be 18 to join, and you have to be 18 to look at whatever's behind the mature content filter.

Why do I have to get admin approval for the art I upload?
At this time, our software developer hasn't provided a way for artists to use a mature content filter, the way you can at DeviantArt. We have come up with a work-around, involving the use of a custom thumbnail picture. This way, we know that A) mature content filters are getting used when appropriate, and B) the same graphic is being used each time it's needed. It's been hinted that a future upgrade for the software may include mature content filters. When/if that happens, we'll revisit the subject of admin approval.

Do I have to upload my picture to each album I want it to appear in separately?
No. Each public album is associated with a specific keyword. To get your picture to appear in a particular album, simply put that keyword on your picture. Pictures can have more than one keyword. Make sure you copy them exactly; the keyword manager is finicky about punctuation marks (as in, it doesn't like ANY except the underscore, so no putting apostrophes in T'Pol's name, etc.).

Do I have to have a personal album in order to put my pictures into a public album?
No. You may upload a picture directly to the appropriate public album. However, we suggest that you do also load it to your personal album, as many visitors seek out a specific artist's work, and it's one more way for them to find the picture easily.

The link to the list of albums and associated keywords is here. (link to be inserted when document is created)

I see that one 'ship's album has a sub-category for a particular medium, but mine doesn't. Is my 'ship being discriminated against?
No. It just means that at the time the gallery was set up, very few members of our community were creating art for that 'ship, so the admins only created sub-albums for the mediums we knew were being used for that 'ship. If you're an artist, and you want to put your art in a sub-category that doesn't yet exist, contact Aquarius or Ladyrainbow, and we'll set it up for you, including the keyword you'll need to add in order to make your art appear there.

I don't like het/slash/a particular 'ship/a particular character. Their inclusion in your gallery is a sore point with me.
Sucks to be you?

Sorry, but that's how it is. We don't discriminate here. Period. We need to be big boys and girls and not click on an album that's clearly labeled as something we irrationally believe will give us a raging case of the cooties if we look at it. It takes more effort to seek something out for the purpose of hating on it than it does to simply skip it in favor of something we *will* like. If you can't do that, this site isn't for you any way.

As for the artists' personal galleries, they're free to draw what they want, so they're free to post what they want, as long as it pertains to Enterprise. If you choose to look, you're doing so with the knowledge that you're taking your own chances. If you see something you don't like in a personal gallery, we don't want to hear it.

What? I sound mean and snarky? That's because I lost my patience for this crap a long time ago. In short: Don't. Even. Try. It.

I saw a picture in a public gallery that I think might be miscategorized. What should I do?
Report it to Ladyrainbow or Aquarius.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Return to Gallery Issues