the delphic expanse

Bug Report: Archive Search Function

Report archive bugs and make suggestions here. Information about who is on shift for fic posting is also found here.

Bug Report: Archive Search Function

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Every time I try to search the archive by genre & keywords, warning or story type I just get this error.

A fatal MySQL error was encountered.

Is this me or is this the archive?
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Re: Bug Report: Archive Search Function

Postby Aquarius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:28 pm

That would seem to be the archive.

Do me a favor, if you would, and switch skins and try it again. We're in the process of trying to determine if our IE 9 problem is particular to our default skin or if it's eFiction-wide; it would be helpful to know if this issue happens on some skins and not others.

Thank you.
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:36 pm

I changed skins a couple times and checked. Searching from the Advanced Search itself seems to work okay and brings up a list of fics, but if I click on one of those from a pre-existing story's list of genre/story type/warnings, the error occurs.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 pm

This probably has to do with the software. I'll dig around and see if I can figure out the issue. This make take a little time, but hopefully we can fix it.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:07 pm

I went and searched for some obvious reason there would be a bug like this and did not find it. However, I'm going to keep looking and if that doesn't work - I'm going to put in a support request.

I did narrow down the problem. As you say, the basic search works. So does the advance search function, which might be able to help you in the meantime.

The one that doesn't work and should is the drop down menu search in categories. We've had some issues with the category tables, and my gut says this is related. I am going to keep working on this.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Honeybee » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Okay, here's what I've found out:

1) The bug only seems to happen for me when I search for ratings (or ratings with another category) on the Browse by title page. (The little drop down menus). All other kinds of searches work for me.
2) You can search by ratings using advanced search.
3) The error happens on every skin.
4) There's no obvious reason, such as a missing .php file that would explain this.

Even though there's a way to search by ratings, it nags at me. We'll figure out what the deal is!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm glad there's still a way to get to the places I want to get to, but that's frustrating to not know what's causing it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.
Mr Smith
Captain

Return to Archive Issues