the delphic expanse

Star Trek: Discovery

Like other Trek shows? Working on a crossover? Post here.

Star Trek: Discovery

Postby EntAllat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Star Trek: Discovery airs tomorrow! Does anyone else have plans to watch it? I'm going to be watching it with a large group of friends.

In case you're confused about how it's airing (because everyone I've talked to in the last couple of weeks seems to be confused about it), the first episode will broadcast in the U.S. on traditional television (your local CBS station) tomorrow, Sunday, September 24th, at around 8:30 p.m. ET / 5:30 p.m. PT. (It could be delayed because of the football game.) EDIT: The first episode will ALSO be available, at the same time, on CBS’s digital subscription service, CBS All Access. ($9.99/mo commercial free, or $5.99/mo with commercials).

Immediately after that first episode airs, the first AND the SECOND episode will be available on on CBS All Access. Star Trek: Discovery will then only be available on CBS All Access. The first eight episodes of Discovery will run weekly from September 24 through November 5, while the “second chapter” (the final seven episodes of the first season) begins in January 2018.

In Canada it will premiere on Bell Media’s CTV and the Space Channel on the same night as in the U.S.

In the rest of the world, it will air on Netflix beginning, Monday, September 25.

From what I'm hearing, Discovery is set sometime after Enterprise, but before TOS, in the original timeline, (not the J.J. Abrams timeline) and that Sarek, Spock's father, will have a major role in it. I was a little bit thrilled to hear Sarek (in the trailer) echo a line that Trip says his 10th grade biology teacher, Mr. Velik - the first Vulcan he'd ever met - used to say: "Challenge your preconceptions or they'll challenge you." We might see a few more nods to Enterprise. The uniforms remind me a bit of the blue jumpsuits, but also of future Trek uniforms, as does the ship itself.

Watch the trailer
Star Trek: Discovery at IMDB
Star Trek: Discovery on Wikipedia
Star: Trek Discovery on Twitter
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Postby EntAllat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 am

EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby jespah » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Very excited! It looks to be just terrific.
jespah
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:08 pm

jespah wrote:Very excited! It looks to be just terrific.

Me too!

The opening credits are now public and it looks absolutely amazing.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:31 pm

There's already a tie-in novel to this new series: Star Trek Discovery: Desperate Hours by David Mack
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Amberlioness » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 pm

EntAllat wrote:There's already a tie-in novel to this new series: Star Trek Discovery: Desperate Hours by David Mack

Hello all! Finally got my logon issues squared away. (Thanks again EntAllat!)

I was at the Creation con in Las Vegas, and heard from some of the writers on Discovery. One of them, Kirsten Beyer, has a unique role. She's effectively a liaison between the ST Discovery TV writers and the writers of the books and comics. The TV writers share their overall story arcs with the book and comic writers and vice versa, with the TV stories taking precedence. David Mack said that he had one minor plot line that he had to scrap because it was contrary to something that the TV writers were doing. When the question of 'are the books going to be considered canon?' came up, the writers were hesitant, but IMO the answer was more affirmative than negative. Interesting times ahead. :D

(on a side note, I just wondered how to appropriately abbreviate Star Trek Discovery...STD seems an unfortunate choice, STDisco? STDis? oh dear...)
Amberlioness
Cadet

Postby EntAllat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Amberlioness wrote:
EntAllat wrote:There's already a tie-in novel to this new series: Star Trek Discovery: Desperate Hours by David Mack

You're welcome!

Amberlioness wrote:I was at the Creation con in Las Vegas, and heard from some of the writers on Discovery. One of them, Kirsten Beyer, has a unique role. She's effectively a liaison between the ST Discovery TV writers and the writers of the books and comics. The TV writers share their overall story arcs with the book and comic writers and vice versa, with the TV stories taking precedence. David Mack said that he had one minor plot line that he had to scrap because it was contrary to something that the TV writers were doing. When the question of 'are the books going to be considered canon?' came up, the writers were hesitant, but IMO the answer was more affirmative than negative. Interesting times ahead. :D

Ah! That explains how they'd get a new story trade paperback out so quickly. Although that also means they've got a slate of book writers they'll be working with. It may be hard to muscle in as a new writer. (Something I've always wanted to do, especially with ENT. But that looks like that ship may have sailed.)

Amberlioness wrote:(on a side note, I just wondered how to appropriately abbreviate Star Trek Discovery...STD seems an unfortunate choice, STDisco? STDis? oh dear...)

Er... yeah. How about DISC? None of the acronyms actually use the ST part: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. (Although... I kinda like DISCO myself. :)

And how about that episode tonight???? Wow! And the hull registry number? NCC-1031?? Hint, hint, hint!

I'm going to put my initial thoughts on Star Trek Discovery into another post inside the Neutral Zone, maybe tomorrow, because I think DISC(o) is doing the classic Star Trek thing of tackling head on (and in not subtle ways) issues of the here and now. I think it might need neutral zone rules for discussion if anybody is interested in it.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby jespah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Amberlioness wrote:

I was at the Creation con in Las Vegas, and heard from some of the writers on Discovery. One of them, Kirsten Beyer, has a unique role. She's effectively a liaison between the ST Discovery TV writers and the writers of the books and comics. The TV writers share their overall story arcs with the book and comic writers and vice versa, with the TV stories taking precedence. David Mack said that he had one minor plot line that he had to scrap because it was contrary to something that the TV writers were doing. When the question of 'are the books going to be considered canon?' came up, the writers were hesitant, but IMO the answer was more affirmative than negative. Interesting times ahead. :D

(on a side note, I just wondered how to appropriately abbreviate Star Trek Discovery...STD seems an unfortunate choice, STDisco? STDis? oh dear...)

DSC - and the show itself is saying DISCO.
jespah
Commander

Return to Other Trek