the delphic expanse

Well, hi there

The place to chat about whatever. Come and get to know your fellow fans.

Well, hi there

Postby jespah » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:55 pm

I don't believe I did this back when I first joined. So I'll do it now. BTW, if I did, then I'll chalk that up to creeping senility.

Oops, I'll start again.

I'm a female type person living in Boston. I am mumble mumble in my fifties.

I have a kind of wacky background in that I am a retired attorney but I hated it so I am now in social media marketing and am getting my MS in Interactive Media from Quinnipiac in, erm, 10 days. If anyone needs help with a story with a courtroom scene, I am happy to help you.

I am traditionally published, too. Untrustworthy is an LGBT dystopian story where an alien society experiences the equivalent of Kristallnacht. It was also my NaNoWriMo novel in 2013. In 2014, I wrote the second book of a trilogy for NaNo. That trilogy is about a tripartite society of humans, aliens, and sentient robots. The first book is The Obolonk Murders; the second is The Polymer Beat and the third is The Badge of Humanity. Only the first two have been beta'd. The storyline is about terrorism against aliens, mainly. Last year's NaNo novel is The Enigman Cave. It's about first contact with the first-ever sentient life found off-Earth. But the people are at the level of Australopithecus, so they don't act much like us. That one is in the process of being beta'd and will get some changes.

I've also got stories in anthologies benefiting charities for cancer and Alzheimer's research, and I have submitted to an anthology about gun control. I've got two other stories in the works for a mental health anthology that I fear might not get off the ground, so I might repurpose those elsewhere if that anthology falls through. I highly recommend writing for anthologies for charity. You make no money but you get writing credit and you do a good deed, all at the same time.

I also podcast for the G & T Show and, since the Axanar debacle, I've been called onto talk law and fandom. I have fans. It is ... weird. To keep from completely overrunning the show, I'm getting a monthly spinoff, which I'll be doing with Aquarius. It'll be not just law and fandom, but also fandom and society (I figure we may talk Bechdel test, etc.). It'll be called Semantic Shenanigans. :)

I mainly write ENT when I write fan fic, but that also means Daniels and the deep future because I write his job and the people he works with and his missions. I also write in the Kelvin timeline and concentrate on the restoration of the Vulcan people as seen through the eyes of a Vulcan ex-con. I also sometimes write a grown-up Wesley Crusher because I think the character was not handled well at all.

I've currently got two stories on the Archive - Where No Gerbil Has Gone Before, a comedy which mainly takes place during the First Flight time period; and Theorizing, which is a Quantum Leap crossover where Sam Beckett and Jonathan Archer switch places. It takes place during the Xindi War and also after the final episode of QL, so Sam's connection to the project is a lot more tenuous.

What else do you need to know? I'm married to a fellow Trekkie and ENT lover, who tolerates the enormous autographed picture of Steven Culp on the office wall. :) I'm a dog lover (I do write Porthos POV at times) but my avatar is not mine, alas, as I am currently dogless.

I am also a noted pie aficionado.
And you?
jespah
Commander

Re: Well, hi there

Postby EntAllat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:09 pm

jespah wrote:I am traditionally published, too. Untrustworthy is an LGBT dystopian story where an alien society experiences the equivalent of Kristallnacht. It was also my NaNoWriMo novel in 2013.

I remember that! I still need to read it. Is it available via Amazon?

In 2014, I wrote the second book of a trilogy for NaNo. That trilogy is about a tripartite society of humans, aliens, and sentient robots. The first book is The Obolonk Murders; the second is The Polymer Beat and the third is The Badge of Humanity. Only the first two have been beta'd. The storyline is about terrorism against aliens, mainly. Last year's NaNo novel is The Enigman Cave. It's about first contact with the first-ever sentient life found off-Earth. But the people are at the level of Australopithecus, so they don't act much like us. That one is in the process of being beta'd and will get some changes.

Way to go!!

I've also got stories in anthologies benefiting charities for cancer and Alzheimer's research, and I have submitted to an anthology about gun control. I've got two other stories in the works for a mental health anthology that I fear might not get off the ground, so I might repurpose those elsewhere if that anthology falls through. I highly recommend writing for anthologies for charity. You make no money but you get writing credit and you do a good deed, all at the same time.

I had no idea that was a thing! Now you've got me intrigued.

I also podcast for the G & T Show and, since the Axanar debacle, I've been called onto talk law and fandom. I have fans. It is ... weird. To keep from completely overrunning the show, I'm getting a monthly spinoff, which I'll be doing with Aquarius. It'll be not just law and fandom, but also fandom and society (I figure we may talk Bechdel test, etc.). It'll be called Semantic Shenanigans. :)

I will add this to my podcasts! I've been adding quite a few lately, as something different for my long commute.

I mainly write ENT when I write fan fic, but that also means Daniels and the deep future because I write his job and the people he works with and his missions. I also write in the Kelvin timeline and concentrate on the restoration of the Vulcan people as seen through the eyes of a Vulcan ex-con. I also sometimes write a grown-up Wesley Crusher because I think the character was not handled well at all.

I've currently got two stories on the Archive - Where No Gerbil Has Gone Before, a comedy which mainly takes place during the First Flight time period; and Theorizing, which is a Quantum Leap crossover where Sam Beckett and Jonathan Archer switch places. It takes place during the Xindi War and also after the final episode of QL, so Sam's connection to the project is a lot more tenuous.

I like the idea of some fanfic focusing on the changes wrought to the Vulcan people in the new timeline, but I really like the unique POV you've got going there. I'll have to find your Kelvin-era fanfic.

What else do you need to know? I'm married to a fellow Trekkie and ENT lover, who tolerates the enormous autographed picture of Steven Culp on the office wall. :) I'm a dog lover (I do write Porthos POV at times) but my avatar is not mine, alas, as I am currently dogless.

I am also a noted pie aficionado.
And you?

Coming up!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Well, hi there

Postby jespah » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:26 am

Oh, thank you! :)

Yes, I's on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Untrustworthy-JR- ... 626011303/

Other fanfic stuff is on different archives. Can I link here? Don't want to step on toes.

Anthologies:
Longest Night Watch (about Terry Pratchett and Alzheimer's; my story is called Props): https://www.amazon.com/Longest-Night-Wa ... 016LI20WA/ (LNW 2 is coming out next month; I have stories called Cynthia, and Wilder Bloom. The latter is about Gene Wilder)
Stardust, Always (about Bowie and Rickman and cancer; my story is called The Last Patient): https://www.amazon.com/JR-Gershen-Siegel/e/B00QY5N1JM
Discovery (LGBTQ etc.; my story is called Complications): https://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Second ... 0103SP4X6/

G & T Show: http://www.gandtshow.com/
Semantic Shenanigans is still in the early planning stages as Aq's schedule has to calm down.
jespah
Commander

Return to Social Space