the delphic expanse

Comfort Movies

The place to chat about whatever. Come and get to know your fellow fans.

Comfort Movies

Postby EntAllat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Spending nearly three weeks sick does have an upside: I watched a lot of movies. Thank you Netflix!

It ran the gamut of genres and styles, from old B&W classics to horror to adventure, sci-fi, comedy and a few new ones I hadn't seen. Obviously I'd like a lot of sic-fi, but there's a few others that I watch over and over again like Roman Holiday, The Count of Monte Cristo, and absolutely anything set during the golden age of sailing vessels.

What's you favorite comfort movie? Do you prefer to re-watch something you've seen a million times, or find something new? What would you recommend to anyone curled up with liquids and Kleenex?
EntAllat
Site Admin

Re: Comfort Movies

Postby lfvoy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm not the tear-jerker type, but when I'm feeling down or sick, my go-tos are Casablanca, The Cutting Edge and When Harry Met Sally...

I tend to prefer something that doesn't require me to think too much, that has a lot of sweet moments and a happy ending (and yes, I do consider Casablanca to have a happy ending). At the same time, it has to be realistic enough not to require me to suspend much disbelief or figure too much out, while being engaging enough to keep my interest. Sci-fi often requires me to spend more energy thinking than I actually have when I'm super-sick, and laughing too much can actually hurt which is why I steer away from the major comedies.

I also sometimes find myself binge-watching shows when I'm sick. The last time I was really sick I ended up watching the entire second season of Lost (which is the farthest I've gone with that show) in three days. Given the serial nature of that show, it was kind of like watching a long movie.
Bridge looks a lot different from here. Think anyone would mind if I fired a torpedo? -Travis Mayweather, "Cold Front"
lfvoy
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm

lfvoy wrote:I also sometimes find myself binge-watching shows when I'm sick. The last time I was really sick I ended up watching the entire second season of Lost (which is the farthest I've gone with that show) in three days. Given the serial nature of that show, it was kind of like watching a long movie.

I've done that too. In fact, I think this was the way I found Firefly, Mad Men, Sherlock (BBC), and Downton Abbey. :)
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Artisticmom2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Hmmm.... when I am down and out I'll usually pop in one of the Jane Austen movies - the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice being my absolute favorite. Everyone is always socially correct and polite and I find those and Disney flicks great for when I am sick AND emotionally fragile. But there are always all the superhero movies - Avengers, Thor 1 & 2, Iron Man, etc. If I am feeling nostalgic I'll pop in the Indiana Jones movies, or the original Star Wars trilogy. Unless I have mental energy I stay away from anything I haven't seen before. If I fall asleep in the middle of a movie I don't want to have to care if I've missed part of the plot.
Captain Archer: Do you know how to tell him to shut up?
Ensign Hoshi Sato: SHUT UP!
Artisticmom2
Captain

Postby Frakme » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:49 am

Ever After. I bloody love that film. I love Drew Barrymore. :hearteyes

Edited because I just thought of a couple more - Clueless and Legally Blond.
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Lillith » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:21 pm

I like movies with a contemporary setting, or preferably set within the last 25 years if not contemp for when I'm sick. Unless it is something like Fiddler on The Roof, or LOTR. I don't really want to critique the setting while I'm feeling sick or down and far future or in the past means I'm critiquing the setting.

My current favorite? Rag Tag, a LGBT British/Nigerian indie flick from 2006. Setting is roughly only 10 or 11 years old, the relationship between the two men is treated like a given, and little things like the machismo factor in regards to Black men is spot on.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Lillith wrote:My current favorite? Rag Tag, a LGBT British/Nigerian indie flick from 2006. Setting is roughly only 10 or 11 years old, the relationship between the two men is treated like a given, and little things like the machismo factor in regards to Black men is spot on.

Oh, interesting! I had to look that one up, but now I've got it on my Netflix queue. Thanks! :)
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Lillith » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:15 pm

EntAllat wrote:
Lillith wrote:My current favorite? Rag Tag, a LGBT British/Nigerian indie flick from 2006. Setting is roughly only 10 or 11 years old, the relationship between the two men is treated like a given, and little things like the machismo factor in regards to Black men is spot on.

Oh, interesting! I had to look that one up, but now I've got it on my Netflix queue. Thanks! :)

You're welcome! It really is an awesome movie. The two men make a cute couple.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby Honeybee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 pm

The movie that I always watch when I'm down is Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russel - the play version not the musical. The dialogue is hilarious, the costumes are over the top and it has the just under the censors' radar risque dialogue that makes me laugh so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXi_vOkMyU
Honeybee
Site Admin

Return to Social Space