the delphic expanse

Gamers in da house?

The place to chat about whatever. Come and get to know your fellow fans.

Re: Gamers in da house?

Postby Mr Smith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 am

Nollie38 wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:I've never played the ME series, but I really want to. ME III looks so awesome.

Anyone played Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's a little too glossy and predictable to be a favourite, and I can't read the writing on the screen so I miss huge chunks of the plot.

I REALLY, REALLY love KoA. I don't play a lot of RPGs (mainly because I don't have a lot of time), but this one definitely has captured my attention and kept my interest. I'm pretty inattentive-type ADHD, so I have to be very, very interested in a game to stick with it. I'm at the point where I want it to end.

I wish you'd been able to see the writing on the screen, because I feel like you miss a lot without that plot information.

I did just get new glasses, so maybe that will help with the text problem, otherwise I'll have to scoot myself right up against the screen to see anything. I've been giving it a break lately, though, mainly because I don't like Klurikon so I went back to Detyre and the Plains of Erathell to find some old quests and level up.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Nollie38 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 pm

I had a total typo in my last post, btw. I meant I DON'T want it to end. >_< Wow, I need to remember that whole EDITING thing. ;)

I've actually completed all the main quests at this point (so I know the "whole story") but I'm doing the side/faction quests thing. LOL
Nollie38
Ensign

Postby Mr Smith » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 am

I'm the opposite, I've been doing a lot of faction and side quests to level up before I continue tackling the main quest. I've completed the Scholia Arcana, the Warsworn, half of the Travellers and I'm on the final mission of the House of Ballads.

What kind of build are you rocking? I started off might/finesse, but then I switched to might/sorcery because I love the chakrams - and then I wasted a lot of Fateweaving on tinkering with the details of the build. At least now I think I've finally found one I'm completely happy to see to the end.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Skywalker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 am

Mass Effect 3 is awesome as long as you stop playing right before the very end. I hope BioWare didn't think they were writing a Valentine to the fans with that ending... :doh
Skywalker
Lieutenant

Postby Mr Smith » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:52 am

Has anyone here played Dragon Age? I picked up 2 the other day because it was cheap and I want something new to play, but is it any good? I should probably play 1 first, but I heard it was turn-based and I cannot stand turn-based RPGs.
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Skywalker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:21 pm

I enjoyed both games. The first one, Dragon Age Origins, isn't precisely a turn-based game like, say, Final Fantasy. There are no rounds, and no pauses in combat (unless you pause it yourself, to select actions for you and your companions), but you do choose what actions you want your character to take in combat. Of course, if you're like me and you have no patience for that sort of thing, you can just select an enemy and your character will just auto-attack them, but then you're basically just sitting there watching the various characters bash at each other. If you play a mage, of course, you have to pick your spells, and the target upon which you want to cast them.

The combat in Dragon Age II is much faster and more simplified. You still have to choose between various special attacks/potions/spells if you want to, but the basic combat itself is more of a button-masher. You charge your enemy and press the attack button (mixing in spells/special attacks/whatever in when you want to) until the enemy is dead. It's more fun than sitting there watching your character auto-attack on his/her own.

Story-wise, I think the first game is better simply because it's basically an epic quest, which is the sort of thing I enjoy. The second game is more of a personal tale focusing on the main character, his/her family and friends, and the primary setting (the city of Kirkwall) over a period of some years while various crises unfold, and how those crises affect them. Dragon Age II also benefits from a main character that's fully voiced and actually seems to have a personality, whereas the main character in Dragon Age Origins is not voiced at all and is essentially a blank slate. However, the lack of a voice means you can choose your character's race (the protagonist in DA2 can only be human), and there are like five or six different origin stories for your character, based on the race you chose.

Overall, I think both games are good. The first game does some things better than the second, and vice versa. I would only recommend playing DAO first because it's the introduction to the setting, and because decisions you make in that game can carry over to DA2 and make that experience a bit deeper, more fleshed out. But that's entirely up to you, of course. You'd have to drop at least 40 hours, maybe more, into DAO if you want to play that before DA2 (which takes around 30 hours, give or take). Either way, I hope you have fun! :mrgreen:
Skywalker
Lieutenant

Postby BobReed » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Guys I need a good idea for a 2-D game, some unique game play features

Thanks guys
BobReed
Lieutenant JG

Postby EntAllat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I thought y'all might appreciate this: Assassin's Creed III Confuses Cat
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Mr Smith » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 pm

EntAllat wrote:I thought y'all might appreciate this: Assassin's Creed III Confuses Cat

:lol: :lol: :lol: :laugh :laugh :laugh Glorious! I like how it gives up at the end and just sits behind the television.
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Kylah618 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 pm

EntAllat wrote:I thought y'all might appreciate this: Assassin's Creed III Confuses Cat

:laugh :laugh :laugh
Malcolm: The radio! Or is it just the galaxy, giggling at us again?
Trip: It can giggle all it wants. But the galaxy's not gettin' any of our burbon!
Kylah618
Lt. Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Social Space