the delphic expanse

Would Trip get a tattoo?

Fic and non-fic discussion of characters, species, writers, and actors. Villian and friendly alien topics now found here.

Would Trip get a tattoo?

Postby Aquarius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

I asked this question at another site. It was a great discussion, until...you know. :roll:

So any way--do you think Trip is the kind of guy to get inked? If so, under what circumstances (ie, just after high school, after a life-changing event, etc.). And what would he get?

Discuss. 8)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby crystalswolf » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:52 am

I could see him getting a tattoo if drunk and out with the guys. :lol: and karaoke (thanks to Aquarius). :rolf
crystalswolf

Postby entkayjay » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am

His mama would keel heem. IMH. :lol:
entkayjay
Commander

Postby Aquarius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 am

crystalswolf wrote:I could see him getting a tattoo if drunk and out with the guys. :lol: and karaoke (thanks to Aquarius). :rolf

I actually thought about that as a possible sequel...T'Pol gets him home, peels him down to his Starfleet Blues, and is all "What in Surak's name is THAT???" :damnfunny
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Kathy Rose » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

Actually, I could see him getting a tatoo in a moment of despair or depression, so that he can have something to remind him of someone (like T'Pol!). Then later it being on his body shows how serious he was about that person (like T'Pol!) to that other person (like T'Pol!).

I don't see him getting a tatoo "just because."

But I could see him getting some kind of tatoo with the ship on it. :D
Old enough to know better, but that's never stopped me before.
Kathy Rose
Captain

Postby Hummingbird2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 am

Ellesar wrote about Trip having a tattoo of a cartoon rocketship in ''Vulcan For 'Second Date' '',which I found rather amusing. :lol:
Icon by TwilightProwler.
Hummingbird2
Commander

Postby Mr Smith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 pm

This is a very interesting question (does anyone here have ink?)

Well, I certainly believe he could be capable of getting one. I'd imagine he may have been more likely to get a frivolous tattoo when he was younger, but perhaps not have anything of great significance to get inked until he was older, with experiences and people that have heavier importance he may went marked, though I don't know if ink would be quite his style at this point.
"Is that really how you see me? The eternal pessimist? The grim reaper? I don't want to die, what makes you think I want to die?"
Mr Smith
Captain

Postby Aquarius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 pm

I have ink and am planning more, Mr. Smith. 8)
Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby EntAllat » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a scene all drawn up that involves some non-traditional temporary tattoos for our crew, I just don't have a story to fit it into yet and it's definitely begging for one.

As for a traditional western tattoo? To me it would depend on what the meaning and cultural significance of those kinds of tattoos would be in the 22nd century. If it was the same as today ... hm.

I can't help thinking about all the four Human guys of the NX01 gang:

I can see Malcolm getting one, easily. There's just something about it that fits the time he finally made his decision to go with Starfleet instead of the Royal Navy. Or later, when he joined the Section. It's got that secretive, symbolic, slightly rebellious nature to it that I think fits.

On the other hand, I don't see Archer getting one. Something about his upbringing and experience seems completely the opposite - like as if he always had a lot more control and never rebelled in a conscious way. He just broke the rules and got away with it because he was a natural-born leader. I don't think he'd be as interested in a tattoo, or that it would mean as much to him. He might do it if it was important enough to something diplomatic with far-reaching implications.

Travis? Yes, actually, if it had something to do with Boomer culture or was something historical and related to fly-boy, pilot culture. It would be a symbol of belonging to a group or kin of some kind. Identity-related and it would have a lot of meaning to him.

Which brings me back to Trip. I think that the "accidental" (i.e. drunk or something) scenario is good. :) But deliberately? I think it would be - like Kathy said - for emotional reasons and as a way of remembering something very important to him. Or it might be as part of a ritual (Vulcan for example) that was important to someone else - again, for symbolic or emotional reasons. Trip was often the emotional thermometer for for the gang, so it seems appropriate.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby Misplaced » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Aquarius wrote:
crystalswolf wrote:I could see him getting a tattoo if drunk and out with the guys. :lol: and karaoke (thanks to Aquarius). :rolf

I actually thought about that as a possible sequel...T'Pol gets him home, peels him down to his Starfleet Blues, and is all "What in Surak's name is THAT???" :damnfunny

See now, you have to write it. :twisted:

I can see Trip getting one tatoo... but not really more than that. Something significant to him, though. I think I could believe him getting something to represent his sister and/or baby Elizabeth... Now that I consider it, I believe he'd get something sweet to represent both of his Elizabeths that he lost.

:shock: Down, plot bunny! DOWN!! :shock:
Misplaced

Next

Return to The People of Enterprise