the delphic expanse

Archer/Shran

A fan of Archer/Shran or how about Reed/Hayes - here's the place to discuss.

Archer/Shran

Postby Lillith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm a bit surprised we don't have a thread on them already. Quite a few people seem to like them, even if they don't warrant a forum of their own. What are your thoughts on this pairing? Any good fic recommendations from those of you who read it?

I personally see this couple as very possible within the confines of canon. Primarily before and after Tallas' death. There are more than enough episodes to build a distinct friendship timeline with them, but what if what we read as friendship was romance? The friendship between them is very slashable in my mind.

Also, Andorians appreciate leadership skills. Archer certainly has that in spades when not mind controlled by insectoid eggs. Generally speaking, Archer is aggressive enough to attract a Andorian male. Or close to it at least.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Re: Archer/Shran

Postby Frakme » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:05 am

I've read a couple of good Archer/Shran stories over at the warp 5 complex. There were certainly a couple scenes in Shran episodes when it almost looked like Shran was checking out Archer's butt ;)
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby tarheelladync » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:40 pm

I agree that the friendship between them was very strong and could have developed into a deeper affection. It seemed that Shran was nearby when Archer was in trouble, even following Enterprise into the Expanse and standing by Archer when others turned their backs. The books after the series also continue their friendship. I have read a couple of the fanfics over at Warp 5, but I'm a little more intrigued now so I think I'll zip back over there and read a few more.
If man can dream it, man can do it. To the stars people!!!
tarheelladync
Lieutenant JG

Postby Glory1863 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

If you're going for anything more than a one-night stand or a friends with benefit-type deal, a consideration in an Archer/Shran pairing would be how much you buy into the four-part/two-couple Andorian marriage thing. Personally, that gives me a migraine, but since it shows up in some of the pro fic, it could cause complications.
MR_Beautiful avatar by M&M (Mareel and Misplaced)
Glory1863
Captain

Postby Lillith » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Not as complicated as denobulans I suspect. But that's true in some regards. Though there was a fic called Covert Blue by KathyRose and Kylie Lee brought up a good something I never thought about. It's Reed/Shran, but in it Shran chooses to be with only Reed. Making me wonder. The foursome relationship in Andorian culture is biological, but it's also social.

He could choose to be with a human and only that human if he wanted to. Not that he should or would, just that it's possible. An author could make that work in theory if they play into Adorian culture and why Shran would limit himself to just Archer despite growing up thinking he would enter into an Andorian marriage. Which would mean bringing up culture more then some people would. You could possibly do something including the interest in Talas if you had Shran choose Talas and the Andorian way at first. Which could resume after her death in canon.

This is confusing. Why must my brain desire going canon as possible for this pair?
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby Frakme » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:33 am

What about Jhamel (is that her name?) didn't he eventually marry her? Sorry I think it is referenced in The Abomination and I know we don't like to dwell on that. So maybe a three way with that... hell you could even throw Erika in the mix, that would make it more Andorian style marriage. You'd need a pretty strong plot to make that work.
Denobulan marriages make my brain hurt... I might need to see if there is a thread on it rather than go OT here.
What I wouldn't give to have an Episode of Enterprise where Trip somehow manages to loses his uniform and gets covered in Nutella.

Aeryn: And you say you want to go back to that place of pain and suffering!
John: Well you guys don't have chocolate!
Frakme
Commander

Postby Lillith » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:11 am

My brain hurts. No wonder people go canon divergent a lot when writting this pair. Not as bothersome as a Phlox fic would be, but damn is it complicated.
Lillith
Lieutenant

Postby EntAllat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:45 pm

On that "complicated" note - do you know of any good resources on Andorian culture? I'm not writing Archer/Shran, but I hint at something like it in an upcoming fic (that I hope to get back to someday), via an Andorian OC and what I've found out there (see the linked topic) just barely scratches the surface of what I need, considering how complex they are socially.
EntAllat
Site Admin

Postby jespah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 am

Not canon but has some good ideas - http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian
jespah
Commander

Postby EntAllat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Hey A/S fans! There's a fantastic pit of A/S(and Porthos) art over on Deviant Art by someone named Waterwindow: Shran Archer CUDDLY THING. You might want to go over there and show some love!
EntAllat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Pairings (Slash)