the delphic expanse

What about this 'ship does it for you?

Achilles had his Patroclus, Jonathan Archer had Trip Tucker.

What about this 'ship does it for you?

Postby Mistress Euclid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 pm

So, for me personally, it's obvious. They're two of my OT3, so while it usually doesn't occur to me to write them witout T'Pol, I can certainly appreciate a fic that features a relationship between these criminally handsome men.

But...what I'm curious about are those of you for whom this is your main 'ship, or one of them. Talk to me, about relationsip dynamics, subtext in the show, or whatever else it is that draws you to them.
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Re: What about this 'ship does it for you?

Postby Honeybee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:02 pm

My primary ship is TnT, but I recently wrote a story where Archer/Tucker was a significant part of the story, and it felt really natural that their friendship would have evolved into something more. Even though it was a Archer/Reed story, I wrote a smut scene with Archer/Tucker that came out hotter and more loving than I expected it would.

So, it just feels natural, that's why it does it for me.
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby entkayjay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

There's a very comfortable ease about these two in a relationship. I've usually been all about being friends first, then lovers in what I consider ideal relationships, and Archer/Tucker falls into that category.

I loved Starsky and Hutch when I was growing up... knew they loved each other but never ever thought in a sexual way (I was quite protected lol), they just did. They were best friends, they'd do anything for each other. When I discovered my slash goggles I quite literally said "OH, THAT'S WHY I LOVED S&H SO MUCH!" Everything fell into place. The connection was there without even saying it.

In Archer/Tucker, it's there without even saying it. Very natural when it happens and when it is written right.
entkayjay
Commander

Postby paulinem » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I've always been an Archer/Trip friendship fan, and up until June last year I had no idea what 'slash' was! So I started my journey with:

Back From Canamar

Even then I was resistant to the idea of slash and would replace 'lover' with 'friend' when I read it. Then I read:

Lay Me Down

I was still resistant to the idea of Archer and Trip being lovers, but I was warming to it. But it wasn't till I read this...

Hell In Heaven

That I started to totally came over to the other side (actually, I didn't know it was slash when I started to read it!!! :shock: ). Even though it gets bloody, and Archer does seem to go OOC, there is just something about the relationship in this story that pulled me into the idea of slash. I don't know, maybe it's the way the author wrote the kiss at the beginning, or maybe it's just the way she wrote the relationship, but it was enough for me to go searching for more. Then this story sealed my fate:

I Know I Shouldn't

and I was totally won over. I started to really appreciate that Archer and Trip could have been something more - meant more to each other, other than friendship.

Since then I have come across so many well written stories that now I struggle to go back to the friendship side (but I have not abandoned it). I guess, for me, its that the authors are able to bring across this relationship so right that it seems right (if that makes sense???), and it's something that I want to emulate!

So there ya go, my little journey! :mrgreen:

Enterprise S5 Website
The continuing adventures of a show that ended too soon...
paulinem
Captain

Postby Lady C » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 am

Most replies so far have said it seems natural and I'll agree with that sentiment too. They were so obviously caring and comfortable with each other (more so in the early seasons anyway) that it's not all that hard to imagine them taking the next step to becoming lovers.

As for scenes it's not so much the big A/Tu episodes but the little moments sprinkled throughout the show that really does it for me e.g. In The Andorian Incident when Archer gets beaten up for the first time it's Tucker who immediately goes over to him and takes him a drink of water to make sure he's okay.

And Tucker's introduction to Archer in the First Flight flashback ("there's nothing wrong with that engine") is totally love at first sight on Archer's part. :lol:
Lady C
Lieutenant JG

Postby Honeybee » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:24 pm

In case you aren't following the rewatch threads, the ultimate Tucker/Archer episode - Desert Crossing - is on deck for next week!

Interestingly enough, when we watched Vox Sola, there was much discussion of the deep friendship between these two, and how that might have been affected by their mind link. Very interesting! And a couple of people even promised to explore it in fics!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Postby paulinem » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Honeybee wrote:In case you aren't following the rewatch threads, the ultimate Tucker/Archer episode - Desert Crossing - is on deck for next week!

Ooooohhhh.... I'm definitely there for this showing!

Honeybee wrote:Interestingly enough, when we watched Vox Sola, there was much discussion of the deep friendship between these two, and how that might have been affected by their mind link. Very interesting!

I'm so annoyed that I missed this! Vox Sola is also one of my favourite Archer/Trip episodes. Maybe I'll watch it over the weekend!

Honeybee wrote: And a couple of people even promised to explore it in fics!

*Squeeeees with excitement*

So, who do I have to suck up to? :kissingbandit

Enterprise S5 Website
paulinem
Captain

Postby Mistress Euclid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Oh, you can suck up to me! I just love the friendship that's unfolding in the first season - they are so close they anticipate each others needs.

I'm definitely going to have to explore this a little more.
I have an AT&T avatar and you don't.
(Thanks to Misplaced!)
Mistress Euclid

Postby paulinem » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Sucking up then! :twisted:

Enterprise S5 Website
paulinem
Captain

Postby Honeybee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 am

I would like to say that one of my biggest surprises in looking over the Delphie award voting is the fact that we obviously have a very passionate (and largely quiet) Archer/Tucker contingent on this board! Archer/Tucker voters were a strong presence. Slash is obviously not as well represented as het, numbers wise, but even still Archer/Tucker made a very strong showing.

:thankyou :djspinsit

So, I expect we'll be seeing more stories in this category soon!
Honeybee
Site Admin

Return to Archer and Tucker (Slash)